The family of a 43-year-old woman who died after she was electrocuted while preparing for a morning bath at her home in Verulam, remain in shock.

Devki Debidin was found by her nine-year-old daughter lying on the floor of her bathroom on 16 August at their home on Buffelsdraai Road, Redcliffe. First responders, Reaction Unit South Africa spokesperson, Prem Balram said: “We were called out to the home at approximately 11am after the deceased’s daughter found her mother lying on the floor of her bathroom. Upon arrival, the deceased was assessed and showed no signs of life.” Balram said that she was declared dead at the scene. He said: “She suffered burns to her face and thigh. It was established that after finding her mother on the floor, Debidin’s daughter ran to a neighboring home and called her aunt who upon arrival found her lifeless body in her bathroom.” However, Balram said, the aunt then switched off the power and carried her sister to the living room before calling Rusa for assistance.

“It is alleged that the deceased was boiling water for her morning bath and was in the process of washing the bathroom floor when she was electrocuted. Her daughter informed Reaction officers that she had skipped school today after she felt the need to spend more time with her mother when she got up,” he said.