Police have launched a probe into the murder of two tow truck drivers following a shooting at a service station on Ridge Road in Berea on Saturday, which left three other tow truck drivers critically injured.

Magesh Naidoo was declared deceased at the scene whilst Imtiaz Khan passed away in hospital. The two men were seated with three other drivers when the perpetrators opened fire on the group who were seated outside the petrol station. The three men also sustained gunshot wounds and are critical in hospital. The shooting is alleged to have occurred in full view of petrol attendants in the forecourt.

Police spokesperson, Captain Nqobile Gwala, said, “On 21 October 2018 at 1:40am, five tow truck drivers were at a service station in Ridge Road, when occupants in a Toyota Etios with tinted windows fired randomly at them. One died at the scene, four were taken to hospital where one later died. They sustained gunshot wounds to the body. Charges of murder and attempted murder are being investigated by Berea SAPS.”
Several rounds of ammunition were fired with some bullets striking the shop window.

It is alleged that the shooting may be linked to a tow truck industry feud. Naidoo is mourned by his wife and three children. Meanwhile, in an unrelated incident, tow truck operator, Mohamed Mubashir Mohammed also known as ‘Mobie’ (30) of Mobis Towlines, was shot and killed in a carjacking outside his home last week Wednesday, 17 October.

It is alleged that Mohamed had returned home with his family at Saffron Street in Shallcross when he was accosted by two armed suspects. The suspects shot the driver before fleeing with his motor vehicle, a white Golf 7, which has not been recovered. Chatsworth SAPS are investigating a case of murder and carjacking. Mohammed’s father, Rakman Mohammed recalled the tragic incident, which claimed his son’s life.

“He went to a school meeting in Shallcross, and he stopped at his in-laws place to pick up his kids and drove down the road to his house. His family got off the vehicle and he was still in the vehicle when two men approached him. He got off the vehicle and struggled with them because of his family being right there,” he said.His father added that Mohammed pulled off the balaclava from one of the guys and that’s when they opened fire on him. They fired several rounds but two hit him. Mohammed was laid to rest on Thursday.