A Rainbird resident, believed to be in his 40s, and alleged to be physically disabled and mute, burnt to death on his bed when a fire ravaged his flat earlier this morning.

According to Phoenix SAPS communications officer, Cpt L Naidoo, the resident lives alone in the second storey flat and was asleep when the fire broke out.

“The Fire department personnel responded to the scene and it is suspected that the fire could have ignited due to a burning candle as there is no electricity in the house. Police and mortuary officials were on scene,” said Cpt Naidoo.

An informed source told the Phoenix Tabloid that the deceased man was physically disabled and mute.

This is a developing story.