Left unsupervised, in the midst of an electricity outage, a two-year-old baby girl was killed in a raging inferno, whilst her two little brothers escaped with injuries, after it is alleged that a candle fell over at the Blinkbonnie Road informal settlement in Bonela, on Monday night.

EThekwini Municipality’s spokesperson, Msawakhe Mayisela, said the City’s Fire Department personnel, claim the children had been left on their own by their parents. “They were watching TV when the electricity went off and they lit a candle. They fell asleep only to be woken up by a raging inferno,” Mayisela said according to feedback received from the Fire Department. EThekwini Deputy Mayor, Fawzia Peer, has since sent her heartfelt condolences to the family of the child and has also instructed the Disaster Management teams to assist with relief aid.

Netcare 911 media liaison officer, Shawn Herbst, said, “Emergency workers managed to gain entrance and found a two-year-old female unconscious on the floor with two other boys.

All three were evacuated, however, upon assessment the young girl was found to have no signs of life and was tragically declared deceased on the scene. The two boys age six and seven were treated for severe burns. Once stabilised, the patients were rushed to hospital for further assessment.”

Peer said, “We have on numerous occasions warned the public that it is winter and obviously the usage of fire is going to be on the increase. We have been appealing to parents to guard against leaving children alone. We have urged those using fire to do so responsibly, failure of which could result in accidents of this nature. It is worrying that we are hopping from one fire incident to the next in a very short space of time. We have even radio messages that are running in this regard because we know our city is very prone to fires in winter. We would like to send our condolences to the family and wish a speedy recovery to two children that were taken to Kind Edward Hospital.”