A total of 2000 participants donned the latest Sunflower Bandana in support of The Sunflower Fund and loved ones who had lost their battle to leukaemia. The eighth annual Pick n Pay Hyper 5km Fun Run/Walk for Charity in support […]
Going for gold or in this case, a Guinness World Record, the Durban sailing fraternity will be hitting the water in the global sailing challenge, the inaugural Bart’s Bash on Sunday, 21 September. Bart’s Bash will try and enter the […]
By Se-Anne Rall Durban High School learners; Christopher and Cameron Coleman, were commended for their bravery, when the pair chased down a fleeing suspect, who had allegedly robbed a teenage girl of her Tablet on Friday, 5 September. The Colemans, […]
By Se-Anne Rall A 24-year old woman is facing charges after she allegedly miscarried her twin babies and left them hidden in a plastic bag in her house in Howell Road. According to a source, the woman was pregnant with […]
Two people were injured this morning, 19 September 2014, after the vehicle they were travelling in, overturned along Pieters Road.
According to reports from the scene, the vehicle rolled down a embankment after it overturned. Sharaj paramedics were called to the scene, where they assessed and treated the injured. After the injured were stabilised at the scene, they were transported to hospital for the further medical care that they required. Public Safety officers and police are investigating the cause of the accident.
Newcastle K9 Unit members arrested three suspects, aged between 21 and 26, for copper cable theft on 17 September 2014.
Members received information about suspects who were cutting copper cable at the transformer house at HJ Van Erk Street. They proceeded to the area and on arrival at the scene, they discovered the suspects inside the transformer room, and arrested them. Copper cable worth R80 000 was seized.
The arrested suspects are expected to appear at the Newcastle Magistrate’s Court on Friday, 29 September 2014.
KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Ngobeni, highly praised the Newcastle K9 Unit members for arresting these suspects. “We will work hard to try and link these suspects with other theft of copper cable, as it is a serious concern in the province,” she said.
Dundee police opened up a case of malicious damage, after an ATM was bombed in the early hours of Tuesday morning, 16 September 2014.
According to Colonel Jay Naicker, a local security guard, who was patrolling the area, heard a loud, explosive noise. “Upon closer inspection, the security guard noticed that the ATM had been bombed,” said Colonel Naicker.
The security guard contacted Dundee police and on further inspection of the damaged ATM, it was discovered that no money was taken. Police have not made any arrests yet, but are still investigating possible leads.
Khulekani Moses Mbatha (32) was recently convicted of culpable homicide at the Ezakheni Magistrate’s Court.
The conviction stems from an incident that took place in March last year in C2 Section, Ezakheni, where a 90-year old pedestrian was knocked over by a speeding vehicle. The man was in the process of crossing a roadway when the accident happened. The pensioner sustained two fractured legs, as well as other injuries which led to his demise. He was later identified as Meshack Kheyi Buthelezi. The vehicle that knocked him over, as well as the driver of the vehicle, was unlicensed at the time of the incident. The driver, Khulekani Moses Mbatha, was sentenced to two-years imprisonment. The case was investigated by Sgt NP Msimango of the Ezakheni Detective Service.
On 17 September 2014 at approximately 4:30pm, police in Dannhauser arrested three suspects, between the ages of 17 and 27, for business robbery and possession of unlicensed firearm and ammunition.
According to reports, a tuck-shop owner was at his shop when he was approached by three suspects, one armed with a firearm. The suspects allegedly robbed the victim of his cash, as well as airtime vouchers, before they fled the scene on foot. Police were called to the scene, where they began a search for the suspects. Members of the community informed police about the whereabouts of the wanted suspects. This resulted in the suspects being traced and arrested a few minutes after the robbery. They were found in possession of an unlicensed 9mm pistol, as well as ammunition. During their arrest, goods that were taken from the shop were also recovered. The arrested suspects are due to appear at the Dannhauser Magistrate’s Court.
KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Mmamonnye Ngobeni, commended the swift reaction by Dannhauser police, which led to the arrest of these suspects. She also thanked the community members for their role in the fight against crime. “We appeal to the community at large to work closely with the police by providing valuable information about any criminal activities in their area,” she said.
Are you Tabloid Newspaper’s next outstanding teen?
Bright Idea Projects, in conjunction with media sponsor Tabloid Newspapers, will be hosting the first ever Tabloid Newspapers’ Miss Teen India Pageant 2014.
Teenagers, between the ages of 13 and 18 years, will have an opportunity to compete for this prestigious title. The gala event is set to take place on 29 November 2014 at Sibaya iZulu Theatre. This pageant requires commitment, perseverance, talent and hard work, to be bestowed this coveted title of Tabloid Newspapers’ Miss Teen India 2014, for a years reign. One talented individual will walk away with the grand prize of a return ticket to India and a host of exciting prizes. No contestant goes home empty handed, as we see every contestant as a winner. There are three segments that you will be competing in: Talent, Eastern Wear and Question & Answer. This pageant provides a rewarding experience for participating youth and positive role models in our community. It also promotes parent and community involvement.
It provides opportunities to enhance their respective careers, and it is a rich cultural experience that you won’t want to miss out on and be part of something monumental. So, if you have what it takes to be the first ever to be crowned Tabloid Newspapers’ Miss Teen India 2014, call, sms or whatsapp Sudesh Behari on 082 585 3309 / 084 482 1808. Limited space available. T&C’s apply.
The search is on for Little Miss India SA 2014. One little girl will walk away yet again with a return ticket to India via Dubai, the crown, the prestigious title of Little Miss India SA 2014 and will enjoy a reign of one year.
The winners as well as all contestants will be showered with a host of wonderful prizes and trophies including cellphones, dvd players, cd players, tv sets and much much more. No contestant will walk away empty-handed. Anyone can enter between the ages of 5-12 years, no matter what colour, race or creed. The event takes place at Durban City Hall on 25 October 2014 at 2:30pm. Each contestant will enter three segments. First is the talent segment where one can display their talent in dancing, singing, saying a speech or reciting a poem, no matter what your talent.
In the second segment you have to model an eastern outfit or an evening gown of your own, and in the third segment Q&A, judges will then ask you a simple question. A window of opportunity awaits you if you enter this pageant. Tabloid Newspapers is the media sponsor of this event and will give you exposure in their widely published paper throughout KZN. So if you have what it takes to be the next, Little Miss India South Africa 2014 and enjoy a trip to stardom, call pageant co-ordinator Sudesh Behari on 082 585 3309 / 084 482 1808 or SMS your name, age and area.
Limited space available, T&C’s apply.
A total of 2000 participants donned the latest Sunflower Bandana in support of The Sunflower Fund and loved ones who had lost their battle to leukaemia. The eighth annual Pick n Pay Hyper 5km Fun Run/Walk for Charity in support of The Sunflower Fund took place on Sunday, 14 September. The event started at 9:30am from Suncoast Amphitheatre and went out onto the promenade and back. A total of R68 210 was raised, which will allow The Fund to include new bone marrow stem cell donors on the South African Bone Marrow Registry. The more donors on the Registry, the more hope children and young adults diagnosed with leukaemia have of finding their 1:100 000 donor match. For more information on The Sunflower Fund visit www.sunflowerfund.org.za or call 0800 12 10 82. Please ‘like’ The Sunflower Fund KZN Facebook page if you would like to receive information on upcoming events.
Going for gold or in this case, a Guinness World Record, the Durban sailing fraternity will be hitting the water in the global sailing challenge, the inaugural Bart’s Bash on Sunday, 21 September. Bart’s Bash will try and enter the record books as the largest sailing race in 24 hours at multiple venues worldwide. Over 9,000 sailors from around the world and 716 clubs will be participating in the fun event, including the Royal Natal Yacht Club. The charity event falls on the yacht clubs Opening Cruise that opens up the summer sailing season in Durban.
Residents have laid blame at the feet of Berea SAPS following a shooting in Vause Road last week.
According to a Facebook post on the Save Our Berea page, members are “appalled by the incident and would like to know why Berea SAPS is no longer dispatching vehicles to patrol regularly in the area”
In the incident, a man was shot at 15 times by balaclava-clad suspects on Wednesday, last week.
A chase ensued between the suspects and the victim along Vause Road, into St Thomas Road, ending at the Sydenham SAPS Detective Branch in Ridge Road, when the quick-thinking victim drove onto the property.
Speaking to The Weekly Gazette, Berea SAPS Communications Officer, Lieutenant PN Naidoo, said a Berea SAPS patrol vehicle did respond to the incident and chased the suspects’ vehicle. “Our officers pursued the suspects but lost them near Entabeni Hospital. Our officers are regularly patrolling the area and unfortunately, we cannot be everywhere at the same time. We do try our best to keep our community safe,” he said. A Community Policing Forum meeting is scheduled to take place on Thursday, 18 September at Durban High School at 5:30pm. All are welcome to attend.
By Se-Anne Rall
Durban High School learners; Christopher and Cameron Coleman, were commended for their bravery, when the pair chased down a fleeing suspect, who had allegedly robbed a teenage girl of her Tablet on Friday, 5 September.
The Colemans, who are in Grades 9 and 12, were on their way home, when Cameron saw the suspect grab something from the young girl and run off.
“Christopher got out and ran after him and I tried to block him off with the car,” Cameron recalled.
“My brother chased him down and we saw him get onto the back of an awaiting white BMW. When the vehicle stopped, the suspect carried on running and as Christopher grabbed him, he maneuvered and managed to push my brother into the path of the BMW, which rode over him,” Cameron said.
The brothers managed to apprehend the suspect and he was taken to the Berea SAPS station where he was charged. His accomplice in the white BMW fled the scene. The Coleman brothers, who are active sportsmen, were commended by Berea SAPS’ Colonel Xulu and Colonel Kweyama for their efforts in apprehending the suspect.
The Colonels thanked the brothers for their parts played in securing the suspect’s arrest, adding that they welcomed efforts undertaken by the community to act against criminals, in a lawful manner.
By Se-Anne Rall
A 24-year old woman is facing charges after she allegedly miscarried her twin babies and left them hidden in a plastic bag in her house in Howell Road.
According to a source, the woman was pregnant with twins and the community suspected she murdered the babies.
However, according to police, the woman had in fact kept the bodies concealed in a plastic packet in her room.
“A concerned neighbour contacted the police when they saw the woman leaving the house with her bags. Police arrived and began questioning her. The babies bodies were found in the room and she was taken to hospital,” the official said.
He added that at this stage the matter is under investigation.
Westville SAPS is investigating a case of armed robbery that took place at the Westville Pavilion Shopping Centre outside the Banking Hall on Wednesday, 10 September at about 10:30am.
It is alleged that a victim was confronted by two suspects, one armed with a firearm.
Westville police Communication’s Officer, Sergeant Stephan Clark, told the Westville Weekly Gazette that the victim had a bag that contained a large amount of cash.”Two suspects, one was armed with a firearm, took the bag from the victim, which had an undisclosed amount of cash, and ran to their getaway car, which was a white BMW, with an NT registration number plate,” said Clark.
Clark explained that during the incident no shots were fired and no injuries were reported and a case docket of armed robbery has been opened at Westville SAPS. “The investigation is still in progress and no arrest has been made yet,” said Clark.
Pavilion Shopping Centre’s General Manager, Nisha Kemraj, confirmed the incident and said as the management of the Pavilion they are deeply concerned to hear about the unfortunate incident that occurred outside the entrance to the banking hall on Wednesday. “The immediate action of our security personnel resulted in the South African Police Services being swiftly called to the scene. A full investigation is underway and we have contributed the CCTV footage of the incident. We will do our utmost to assist in any way possible,” said Kemraj.
Kemraj said that they have noted that there are increasing reports of criminals targeting shopping malls around the country.
“As the Pavilion Shopping Centre, we are on high alert and will do all in our power to ensure that the Pavilion is a safe and secure shopping environment for our valued shoppers and tenants. At the same time, we would like to urge all shoppers to be vigilant at all times,” said Kemraj.
The KwaZulu-Natal Gaming and Betting Board, under the MEC for Finance, Belinda Scott, kick-started its first set of public hearings in Westville, Durban on Tuesday, 9 September.
MEC Scott said that the primary mandate of the board is to regulate gambling in the province. “The objective of these hearings is to ensure that the interest and views of the public are taken into account. We want to clarify that the KZN Gaming and Betting Board has received applications from its licence holders in its ordinary course of business and is now complying with its statutory requirements to publish such applications received for public comments and or objections,” she said.
She said the board is duty-bound to consider such objections received, prior to making its final decision. “It was encouraging to see the robust public engagement and participation both at the Durban and Pietermaritzburg hearings. That is indeed the purpose of these public hearings,” said Scott.
She also said that members of the public are encouraged to continue participating in the upcoming public hearings, so that the board can get their views and take them into account when considering these applications, before the decision is made.
Three suspects were arrested for Assault GBH on Wednesday, 10 September, after they allegedly shot a municipal worker who was cutting trees on Westville Road at about 11am.
Westville SAPS Communication’s Officer, Sergeant Stephen Clark, told the Westville Weekly Gazette that a municipal worker was cutting trees on Westville Road, when he was allegedly shot in the hand by the occupant of a passing motor vehicle.